Monday, August 20, 2007

Putting in the work...

I just finished one of the most challenging weeks of training I have ever put in and I am feeling great this morning. I topped out at just over 2o hours last week and somehow also made it to 2 Padres games (one win/one loss) and got a ton done at work. A solid week.

It felt really good to add back some intensity and speed to my workouts and the past couple months of more "base" focused training is defintely paying off. I had one solid bike and run interval session, both really focused on Xterra racing... hills. I won't get into the details right now but by they end of both sessions I was barely hanging on which was the plan. Each of these workouts will be repeated each week with the duration of the "hard" intervals getting longer so it should be interesting to see how my strength and speed progress.

I also upped my swim volume with 2 hard masters sessions, 2 easy drill focused sessions in the work pool, and 2 long aerobic ocean swims. The swim is starting to come back around.

On saturday I got in a 3.5 hour offroad ride which included climbing black mountain twice. It was the first time I had been out there since before Temecula and on the Epic. I felt great on the climbs and in the heat... It was 90 by the time I got to the top the second time. By the time I got back to my truck it was really hot and I was kind of dehydrated. The plan was for a 30 min T-run but I cut it back to 20 and was able to put in a good effort.

Sunday was pretty typical. Long ocean swim then straight out for my long run in San Elijo lagoon. Right after it was right back in the ocean to cool off, bodysurf for a bit, and just relax. It was a killer day. I sat on the grass at Fletcher's cove, drinking my recovery shake, stretching, and just being stoked to be out training. I capped the day off with a mellow recovery spin, a soak in the hot tub, a couple of beers, and some fajitas.

Post swim/run stretching. Killer day.


Pre-ride snack: Dark whole grain toast, powerbutter, banana, granola:


Monday morning/post huge week brekkie... refueling/recover: scrambled eggs (1whole,3whites) with onions, green peppers, roma tomatoes, low fat cheese, avocado, tomatillo salsa + whole grain bagel with jam.


recovery?

I'm kind of a big padres fan.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love how you squeezed in the Padres games on your heavist training week. Awesome. And of course, bodysurfing. Maybe watching a Padres game is kind of heat training? Anyway, can't believe you rode up in Temecula right now. I 'bout died this weekend and I was by the water! I love running San Elijo. Always such beautiful birds.