Friday, December 28, 2007

Good times and Good Eats.

I am having such a good time back on the East Coast that I have changed my flight to stay another day. I also want to see the New England Patriots take a crack at perfection. I was supposed to be in the air when the game is on but now I will be hanging out drinking beers with the family. Much better.

I got in another good run on Thursday. This time it was a tempo time trial on the track. My parents still live close the high school that I graduated from so I ran from the house up to the track and performed the following run test to get a gauge of my aerobic pace and I begin my 2008 assault.

From the Training Bible:
Tempo Time Trial. Warm-up about 15 minutes raising heart rate to 10 bpm below lowest heart rate in 5a zone. Then start 3 miles/5km on track at 9-11 bpm below lowest 5a zone number. Exactly! Time? Cool down in heart rate zone 1.

I warmed up with 15 minutes of easy running and 10 strides working my heart rate up. My LT is 176 bpm so I was going to try and stay between 165-167 for the test. I took mile splits and was pretty surprised. I was actually expecting to be a little slower right now.



3 mile: 20:50 - avg HR 166 bpm
1: 6:58 - avg HR 166 bpm
2: 6:56 - avg HR 166 bpm
3: 6:56 - avg HR 166 bpm

I will be repeating this test during my recovery weeks and hopefully will see the time drop quite a bit. It should be fun. I am all about measurable results these days.

One thing I have been a lot of here is eating... and eating good homemade food. Last night it was pizza night at the Walsh household and my dad killed it! He conjured up 6 gourmet pizzas with everything made from scratch including the dough, pork/fennel sausage, and creme fresh.

before the oven: pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, chicken, and feta.


before the oven: pesto, roma tomatoes, havarti cheese, and scallions


putting together another one. BBQ chicken... one of the favorites.


another killer, post oven: leaks, pancetta, onions, and goat cheese


good work dad... time for a beer.


later on it was back to the bar with some friends for more of this.


my brother, courtney (his gf), and me getting crazy celebrating their b-days earlier in the week


Over the course of 2 nights Chris and Courtney cleaned out the entire family playing c-lo and Left-Right-Center.


that's it for now!

4 comments:

TRI-ROB said...

Sounds like a GREAT holiday!

I had completely forgotten about that time trial in the bible... nice splits! Especially considering its DECEMBER! Geesh....

I've spent the last week and a half eating everything and anything I can get my hands on! Which will only serve to test my pain threshold when training starts up Jan 1st.... yummy!

Breathe...

ramon said...

JW sounds and looks like good times, I mean socially but your training times look stellar too! Congrats on Exterra ALL-AMERICAN honors. Awsome season dude!

Matt Guenther said...

good times. I might head out to cali when I get all of that time off in May. That would be killer. If not, then I'll see ya in Japan :P

barndog said...

Wolfgang Pops!