Monday, May 19, 2008

2008 Xterra West Championships - Race Report


My time was actually 2 minutes faster than the clock. That is the "pro" time and they started 2 minutes ahead of us.

Ok... this is going to be a quick one just to let everyone know how I did. I have a lot going through my head about this race but the bottom line is I am STOKED beyond belief. It all came together. 6 months of dedication and working towards a single goal paid off.

I will post more in the coming days about the race, all the people that helped me get to where I am, and the motivation for the race.

results:
2:45:25 (about 10 minutes faster than last year!)
1st AG (30-34)
2nd Amateur Overall
18th Overall (including pros)


Swim:
It was a no wetsuit swim which I was stoked about. I had a solid swim but lost some good feet about halfway through, but overall it was good.


Bike:
Best ever. I knocked 8 minutes off my split from last year on the same course. All the hard working is paying off (Thanks Cody!).


Run:
F'n hot. I was kind of blowing up a third of the way through but rallied back. I kind of shut it down for the last mile or so just to hold on. Trevor was out of reach and there was nobody who was going to catch me. Not my best run but still happy with it. It was cooking out there!


The most important part is the I got my slot for the Xterra Worlds Champs!!! Mission Accomplished! Now I can enjoy the summer of racing without too much to worry about.

Me and the real champ! She absolutely killed it in the gnarly 21k on Saturday. Read her blog!!!

26 comments:

GZ said...

HAHA! Look at that Brian Sell 'stauche! SWEET!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR.

Benson said...

Effing awesome dude!
Congratulations on a great race and getting your well deserved slot at worlds.
Besides the heat, it looked like good race conditions and those pics of you on the bike and run look like you are flying! Love it.
Have a good recovery and a fun summer of races.
Anxious to see your next post.

Nikee Pomper said...

GREAT JOB! Your dedication and hard work paid off, and it's still way early in the season. 2nd overall amateur? VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Cindy Jo said...

Holy crap! Way to KILL IT!!! You must be stoked (understatement)! It's been really cool - and inspiring - watching your progress. Congrats and enjoy it!

ll said...

awesome mate, AWESOME! Well done, you are quite an inspirational guy! keep it UP!!

Mark said...

A HUGE CONGRATS dude! Just awesome performance...must be killer that you beat several pros!

Hell yeah - now it's time to celebrate!!!

You DA MAN!

Zippy said...

Nice job, man. See you at Rim Nordic in a couple weeks!

JP Flores said...

James,

That is F!#$@G awesome. You rocked it...2nd Amateur OA! wow.

when you getting your pro card?? :-)

SixTwoThree said...

Great news!! Super proud of you!! Couldn't wait to read this post this morning! I was hoping it turned out this way :-)

Matt Genovese said...

Unreal brother, now update our boy at Oakley so you can meet with him and get stoked out for the rest of the years to come!

beth said...

you made me proud, you little truck driver! ...my RR isn't posted yet, but will be tonight. you pulled great double duty this weekend as racer and race supporter.

way to unleash the beast!

Shan said...

SWEET. Congrats!

Your motivation and dedication to your plan really paid off!! And just to think it's only May...you're going to rip it up in Maui...

Paul said...

Dude rock on! That's so killer.

My new thing for my training runs has been "James would do it". Whenever I start to slow down. I just think about how you kick ass on the run and then I pick up the pace.

Cliff said...

Jamseon,

way to rock the course. It looks like brutal weather and you are able ot hold it together.

Nice.

Matt said...

10 min. faster, wow!
Under pretty extreme conditions.
You guys can market VO2Max as the food that makes you freaky fast!

GZ said...

Okay - the 'stauche is still crackin' me up. Brian Sell ain't got shit.

Curious if you have thought out how you will play your future races b/w now and worlds ... as you have a qualifier and can use those races to capitalize on certain things (if you want).

HYDRATE!

Go Rockies.

GZ

runninggunner said...

Great Race. Looks like it was perfect conditions for you.

MarkyV said...

Uh dude... I see no mention of golden spoon. Who are you and what did you do with James!!!???

Ryan D said...

KILLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FatDad said...

Yeah dude, you killed it. One of the best White Goodman impersonations ever. And the race was pretty dope too.

barndog said...

happy for you and the catepillars aside your mouth. especially the Maui part. you deserve it.

D a v e P said...

congratulations James! Way to throw down.

TRI-ROB said...

F'in BEAUTIFUL bro! I can't WAIT to read the detailed report! We all knew you'd destroy it...

Breathe...

ramon said...

JW, Fantastic man. Way to kill it. Stoked for you...you deserve it, your worked your a** off! How much fun is your regionals road trip going to be now, now that your worlds slot is confirmed. Congrats.

Drew Holmes said...

super huge congrats and love the stash of course, fellow pimp!!!