Sunday, May 25, 2008

keep on keepin' on

Recovery weeks are good... especially when they include goblets of PBR at Fred's Mexican Cafe. Yes GZ, they have PBR on Draft!


Reovery dinner.


I got a pretty good email last week... here's what it said:



"You have qualified for the 2008 XTERRA World Championship to be held in Makena, Maui on October 26.

We look forward to welcoming you to Hawaii to participate in this exclusive event. The World Championship is limited to 550 of the world’s best XTERRA athletes, and will be filmed for a one-hour television show.

The Maui course is legendary and combines a 1.5-kilometer swim in the crystal clear waters of the Pacific Ocean, 30-kilometers of mountain biking with more than 3,000 feet of climbing up the slopes of Maui’s Haleakala volcano, and an 11-kilometer trail run covering a dozen different surfaces from sand to lava rock.

And, if that’s not enough, the parties will be!"


Recovery from the race took a little longer than usual. Typically after a hard race (assuming it's on a Sunday) I am feeling pretty good by the following Thursday. Not the case this week. I think the main reason is the effort I put on Sunday in the extremely hot conditions. I think I was just very depleted and it didn't help that I went to the Padres game downtown Monday and probably walked 5 miles by the time it was all said an done.

Sweet views at Petco.


My 21 year old cousin that pretty much drank me under the table. What has happened to me?


Finally on Saturday I started to feel much better and got in a killer trail run with local Du-master Kevin Gillotti. I am stoked he was there because he got me out my funk and pushing along. I chased him for the better part of 90 minutes and felt much better afterwards.

On Sunday Beth and I put together a group ride prior to heading down to the beach for some Memorial Day partying. A solid group and good times... and then some marathon partying afterwards. Definitely a long, fun day.

"Chillin' Out"


Monday was more of the same. I got out on the mountain bike in the morning for some easy riding and exploring on my local trails. I have lived here for a year and half and still have not ridden everything and I found some new ways to link trails. After the ride we spent the holiday lounging on the beach with some "beverages". Some of Beth's friends were in town from the east coast and the weather turned out to be pretty nice. A very relaxing weekend.

nothing like 2 hours and 3000+ ft of climbing right out your front door.


That's it... kind of a lame post. We were too busy having fun this weekend and forgot to take photos. I'll get on it this week.

9 comments:

ll said...

It's a hard game to balance fitness/beer-intake ability ;-P
Very hard to get both up at the same time!!

GZ said...

HAHA! I have seen a mug like that in years. It is all my Pop used to drink out of (that and glasses with Budman on them).

Recovery would probably be faster with a Boulder Hazed and Infused IMO.

Keep on rockin ... LIVE IT.

GZ

Mark said...

These kinds of posts need to have more beach pics...i.e. pics of Beth in her bikini etc. I'm just saying...

;)

beth said...

moonpie....yeah, i agree- what's up with that? who wants to see a skinny dude in yet another pair of white shades anyway? james pretty much just likes pictures of himself (see previous post)... :)

uh oh, james...looks like i found your hidden supply of HATERADE again! chug-a-lug!

Benson said...

Beef
Beer
Beach...

Where's Beth?

FatDad said...

Called out on your own blog! This comments section is tough, yo.
Gotta love any beer that you need two hands to lift.

beingoutside said...

PBR on draft is not so common these days. Never seen it look so classy as it does in those goblets.

Fe-lady said...

Sweet e-mail!
Congrats!

TRI-ROB said...

That mug is as big as your head! At this point... your 21 year old cousin could drink me under the table with 1 12 oz can of PBR! I'm TOTALLY out of practice...

Bro... what swwwwwweeeeeet letter to be gettin in the mail! Are you floating or WHAT? We're proud James! All of your weird, shut-in, full-of-themselves blogging "family" is proud of you!

Breathe...