Friday, May 16, 2008

It's almost time to Unleash the Beast!



"It's all about the process, if I prepare relentlessly the outcome will take
care of itself".

That quote is from Simon Whitfield and pretty much sums up the last 6 months of training for me. He posted it on his blog a couple of days ago but I watched an interview with him on YouTube months ago and where he said the same thing and it stuck with me. I thought about it every day!



In the past 6 months have pushed myself harder and have been more singularly focused than ever in order to show up in Temecula ready to lay it down. There's nothing left to do. I have done the work, made the sacrifices, bled, and now it's time to have fun. Racing IS the fun part.

You can only control so much on race day. The only thing you can really do is show up mentally and physically prepared. On the starting line you either know you did everything you could of to put you in a position to have a great race or toe the line with doubts. I can confidently say it's the former for me. No matter the outcome I know I couldn't have done anymore.

The weather is looking perfect for Sunday... and by perfect I mean blazing hot & sunny... my favorite conditions!


There are so many people that have helped be get to where I am right now. I will need a whole post (it's in the works) to thank them all. Beth and my family are at the top of the list.

I used to get so wrapped up in training that I would shut everything out else out. I thought that is what was needed to "go fast". Don't get me wrong I am still very focused but Beth has helped loosen me up and have more fun both in training and away from it. Meeting her and letting her into my crazy life is probably the best thing that's ever happened to me.

me and beth living it up in Maui... post race.


Then there's my family... They ARE AWESOME and have been behind me 100% since I started this crazy mission/life of endurance sports in January of 2006. While I know they thought I was crazy they have always been super supportive. My sister and nephew Jake were basically my support crew my entire first season and even came with me to Maui for Xterra Worlds. I am sure I did not thank them enough. My parents and brother, even while living on the east coast, are very involved in my racing. I can count on a phone call within a couple hours of finishing a race from my mom and my dad (they are both on the line at the same time using separate cordless telephones!) asking me about my races whether it's the a big Xterra race or a local 10k... and now they have started calling asking about Beth's races. They are on it and I love it. My mom has my race schedule written on down on her calendar in the kitchen all the way back in Virginia!

Me and my parents enjoying a post race beer in Richmond last year


Even my aunt and uncle have shown incredible support which I didn't expect. Not that they are not awesome but I didn't know what they would think about a bunch scrawny dudes running around in spandex with shaved legs... but they are into it. My uncle is the one that got the "Team Walsh" shirts made last year when I raced (blew up in) the 70.3.

My uncle showing his support... getting his hair cut at the Xterra West champs last year to raise money for CAF.


Thanks to everyone that has left me comments, sent me emails, or called me with words of encouragement.

Sunday morning it will be time to Unleash the Beast!

19 comments:

ll said...

DUDE! you are a legend and I'm so happy that I "met" you through blogging! you just seem to bring so much positive! make it happen and have great fun, buddy!

Nikee Pomper said...

You've put in the hard work, now it's time to have some fun and kick some ass. Good Luck out there and make the competetion suffer!

Paul said...

Get Rad out there buddy! I know you're gonna rock it.

beth said...

can't wait for sunday. i've had enough of "cage the beast". time to unleash.

and i'm glad you think life is more fun now. that is a good thing.

Matt said...

Dude
you've got the ju ju, the mojo, karma, Chitta Niyama, soul, huevos. . . .and that's process, man.

Now . . . Just Win.

See you guys tomorrow!

Luke said...

looking forward to watching you lay it down out there this sunday bro!

see ya at the finish!

Shan said...

All I can say is:

KILL. IT.

You're gonna rock it out there and I can't wait to hear/read about it next week! Your posts are so inspiring - I'm getting pumped up at my desk right now and just want to race after reading this!!

It's so awesome when we can find someone who balances us out - and it sounds like you've found that in Beth...

Good luck out there on Sunday!

Zippy said...

I'll see you there. Rubber-side down this time, OK? Haha!

SixTwoThree said...

GO GIT 'EM!
Can't wait to read the race posts :-)

xteric said...

Nice post James. I'll see ya at the race. You are ready, and a little luck never hurts too: good luck!

Mark said...

Dude - you've worked so hard and come so far! It's been awesome following and seeing your progress!

GO FORTH, AND KICK ASS!

Benson said...

GERRRRRRRRRROWWWWWWWWWWWL!
Tare it to pieces and eat it up!

And have some fun.

good luck.

Anonymous said...

You are my first hero win or not, you have always been so focused. I touches my heart that you mention us. Through the years I have seen the blood, sweat and beers. Good luck Honey we will call you after the race. Love always Mom and Dad

runninggunner said...

Have a great race!!!! Rock that course!!!

ramon said...

Dude you've been mixing your MOJO these last 6 monthes. Time to stir it up and throw down!! I'm stoked for you, your ready. "GET AFTER IT!"

ll said...

Finnish rule baseball.. here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pes%C3%A4pallo
I can't put it in words any better. cool game though. ok go get'em dog or git it!!

TRI-ROB said...

Temecula is today...
I'm thinkin about ya...
Hope you smoked it!

Breathe...

Ryan D said...

a little late, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzekDivpK3M

GZ said...

I see you won your age group but can't find in depth results yet. Nice work! Race report please!