Sunday, May 04, 2008

one of "those" weekends...

...what I mean by one of "those" weekends is that it was one where everything thing just clicked and I sit back and am just stoked to be training, racing, and living "the life" in southern california.

Saturday:

I woke up early to head down to get in my "peak" mountain bike session before heading down to the expo for the Spring Sprint. I hit the trails around 630am and it was already sunny and warming up. I ripped this workout. I felt great on the bike and it was probably the best workout I have had so far this year. I was strong on the climbs and was railing the descents. It went so well that I was kind blown away... a good sign with the race two weeks out!

Then it was off to the expo to pick up my packet and hang out with Break Away crew. Good times.

Me and Beth on Saturday in our sweet aero lids.

Sunday:

Spring Sprint Triathlon

My wave went off at 7:05 and Beth's was at 7:30 so we were up early to head down to the race. This race is always big as it is kind of the local kick off to the triathlon season in San Diego. This was my 2nd ever road triathlon back in 2006 and my first ever AG win. This year was no different and their a couple thousand people racing. I raced in the Elite division for the second time and against some very fast dudes. There were seven of us racing Elite including local pros Caue Suplicy and Juliano Teruel, and my fast Break Away homeboys, Felipe, Luke, and Erik.

The swim (1/4 mile):
I got right up in the mix off the start. Even though the swim was short and these guys were all faster swimmers than me I wanted stay with them as long as possible to minimize how much ground I would have to make up on the bike and run. Well I hung with them... until the first buoy and then they got away. I came out of the water in 6th (out of 7) and was about 30-60 seconds back. Not bad, but not good either in such a short race.

T1:
As I entered transition Luke, who was doing his first race of the season and first since his crash, was on his way out and I took the time to slap him on the ass and get him on his way. Transition was a little crowded and I had a little trouble getting my wetsuit off over the timing chip. Nothing major, no worries.

Bike (9 miles):
As soon as I got on the bike I knew it was going to be a tough one. My legs were pretty tired from the bike workout the day before (as expected) and I felt kind of flat. I just put my head down and tried to not lose any time to the leaders. Half way through the bike I was caught and passed by the 7th place guy and now I was in 7th... last place. sweet. He put about some time on me and soon enough I was off the bike.

heading into T2:


T2:
Wow... probably the most congested transition area I have ever been in. There wasn't really any clear way back to my rack but I eventually found a way having to pick my bike up to clear a couple of curbs and piles of gear. After that I was in and out.

Run (3 miles):
I got reports as I was running out of transition that I was any where from 30 to 90 seconds down on the entire field. So I just went for it and ran hard. The majority of the run was on trails and some which were sandy and loose. I knew this would be to my advantage. It was only a 3 mile run so I wasn't sure how far I could move up but I felt great. I caught Luke 1/4 mile in to move into 6th and then just kept pushing. At the first mile marker I could just start to see the guys in 3rd, 4th, & 5th.

Now that I could see them I made it my mission to catch them. It took me about 3/4 of a mile to catch 5th (Felipe) and 4th (Brian Wilson). They were running together and I just surged past them in a sandy section and upped my pace and was able to get away. Erik was in 3rd and I was closing in. I caught him just after the 2 mile mark and then could see 2nd off in the distance. Again... I went for it and as I got closer I could see the leader (Caue Suplicy) about 15 yards ahead of him. I worked hard to get up to the 2nd place guy (Juliano Teruel) and finally caught and passed him with less 100 yards to go and now was closing in on first. I just did not have enough course left to get to first place. Caue got me by 3 seconds. If there was another .1 miles I am pretty sure I would have taken the win!

Overall:
47:33
2nd Overall/Elite

Caue (1st), Me, Erik (5th)


I am definitely happy with the race. My biggest goal going in was to run hard and fast off the bike and that's just what I did. It's definitely one the best runs I have ever put down off the bike... if not the best. Mission accomplished.

The guys I am racing against these days are guys I thought were way out of my league last year. I never even used to see them in races after the gun went off. So to say I am stoked with my progress of the the last couple of years would be an understatement, but I still have a long ways to go to get where I want/need to be.

Beth also had an incredible race and I am very proud of her. I don't want to steal her thunder so you will have to wait until she has time to post a report to find out how she did.

The Break Away team had a great day with plenty of athletes taking podium spots both in the triathlon and duathlon. Biggups!

Me and Beth after the race (second place is the first loser)


After the race it was straight home and then we headed out for an easy spin thanks to Beth. I was ready to blow it off and go hit some happy hour for some celebratory beers and tacos but she got me out the door... and today I am glad I did. My legs feel great. After the ride we headed to our favorite spot for the mexican food and beers.


Beth with her well deserved cerveza.


This week is my second "peak" week and I am ready to get after it. "The race" is less than two weeks away!

20 comments:

GZ said...

Bro JW - SUH-WHEAT.

I am reading this, and as I am going through ... I am thinking, godamn, he is positioned well! Making up what you did (be it 30 or 90) is freaking awesome in a 3 mile run. Given some of the quirks (T congestion, timing chip), I bet you could have taken this with fresh legs. Good sign of things to come.

F*CK*n AWESOME

Luke said...

if you aint first, you're last....lol!!

good job bro...now it's temecula time!!

runninggunner said...

Great job on the race. Sounds like a perfect multisport weekend.

Mark said...

Congrats bro! Your progress has been really amazing! You should post details on your progress in a year - especially in regards to the swim.

Oh, tell Beth I've been hitting refresh on both of your blogs all day, and to stop slacking on the RR ;)

Ryan D said...

holy F man - you caught 5 people on a 3 mile run? force to be reckoned with... bboooyyyeeeeeee

FatDad said...

Great race, James. Congrats. I'm diggin the pink retro Oakleys too!

beth said...

wow....from the picture of the winners, it looks like you have to be in the 5' 8" and under club to get a podium...

and by "beth dragged me out for a recovery spin"...did you forget the part about how you dropped me 15 minutes into it because i was too slow?

okay, enough hating, i seriously can't believe how fast you are.. you're amazing and you deserve it.

i told you the pre-race wine was rocket fuel!

Paul said...

Awesome race! When I saw that you were 3 seconds behind Caue, I knew you ran your way into second place big time. Can't wait to see the splits. Those guy's are fish too. Super race dude!!!

ll said...

DUDE/YOU/ARE/AMAZIIIING!!!!!!!!

Guernsey Man said...

Sick!

Nikee Pomper said...

Congratulations! What a way to kick off the season. I’m looking forward to reading about your progress this summer. Nothing says sweet victory like a celebratory beer and mex food

Matt said...

Dude,
Great work despite being a little knackered from Sat. bike, etc.

In prep for May 18th, how about a little pop quiz. How do you spell the word (begins with "T") of which you need to focus . . . ?



aT-a-p-e-r!

Shan said...

WOW - way to smoke 'em on the run. The finish must have been exciting to watch for sure. Maybe I should ask you and Beth to be my running coaches!!

Nice work out there!!!

D a v e P said...

James,

Nice job Sunday! Now you need to bribe Felipe or Luke to pull you during the swim next time and you'll be right where you want to be! That's what teammates are for, right?

Zippy said...

Nice job! Things are looking good for West Championships.

TRI-ROB said...

SWEET RUN BRO! MAN... I LOVE that! Seriously.... people always say that races are won on the bike... unless of course its a sprint! GREAT JOB! LOVE the push...

Also... those are some sweet lookin scooters... urban camo huh? Niiiiiiiiice....

Breathe...

Paul said...

16:01....hahahahahah.. That is SICK! OMG.

Benson said...

Whew, nice job man.
it only gets better.

Brett said...

JV - I read on your blog about your race and thought 'how do you pass everybody but one person in just a 5k', so I looked up the results at: http://www.y-events.com/08springtri.htm

A 16:01 5k, thats how, lololololol. Man, look at the rest of the results - only like 3 or 4 people in the entire field was within even about TWO MINUTES of that time. That would be a fast time even on ashpalt downhill!

MarkyV said...

what what

NO GOLDEN SPOON!?!?!?!?!

WTF is wrong with you!?!? Who are you and what did you do with James!!!!???

;)

Nice race dude.