Wednesday, June 25, 2008

not so fast...

After a killer weekend of mellow training with Beth I was ready to get after it on Monday... or so I thought. I slept in a bit on Monday and then hit 30 min strength and core session in my garage (time to get some strength back!). Then at lunch I hit the pool... getting in the pool at lunch when it's 85 and sunny is killer. I just took it easy and enjoyed my time outside between meetings and getting back in to the work groove. I had also planned to do a super mellow 60 min spin on the bike when I got home, but it didn't happen. I got home, had a tallboy of PBR in the fridge and the first game of the College World Series finals were on.... it was a no brainer... I went for the beer and baseball!

Beth isn't going to let me go grocery shopping anymore!


That pretty much sums up my week. I have been getting out and getting some mellow workouts in and have been feeling good but I found that I was not ready to get serious... and that's why I decided not to race the San Diego International this weekend. I know it's a big race but I was dreading it everyday and it was kind of stressing me out. It just came down to the fact that I don't want to race right now and I can't go out there and just fake it. I know that if I raced I would be in lockdown-race mode right now and I would race hard on Sunday. I put so much time, energy, and focus into my early season races that there is no way I could get up for this race. I would much rather be out there to support Beth and some good friends, enjoy myself for another week than get on the start line... so I pulled the plug!

Next week my build up for the Xterra Mtn Champs, Xterra Nationals, and Xterra Worlds starts. I would rather go in refreshed and ready to get after it than shelled from a race that really means nothing to me. From a racing perspective Xterra is all that matters to me.

I am hoping this conservative approach will pay off and help me reach new levels with my training in the coming weeks... I know that I will be testing my limits with some the training I have on tap... and I can't wait. I am ready to crush myself!!!

13 comments:

ll said...

smart move buddy! sometimes you (or at least I) have to pay a high price for racing when mind/body isn't ready/willing!

Matt said...

JD? Absolute? Gnarly . . .

ICE cold beer perhaps. Good call on the (road) race. You have to call it like you see it. For instance, the Padres are going NOWHERE fast. The FS Bulldogs are sick. . .

Jim said...

Perhaps the "Road Trip" with two Championship Races in such a short time, considering the effort you put into each, was just a bit much. Glad to see you kicking back for a little while. Your body will tell you when you are ready for the next MAX effort.

I agree with Matt. The FS Bulldogs are sick, don't you think ? (Allow me to gloat for a couple days, HaHa)

Trevor Glavin said...

You made the right decision. I started training pretty late this year b/c of illness and my form came quickly. You will be much better off for taking this week super mellow if your not feeling ready.
Enjoy yourself this weekend!

Jim Vance said...

Damn...the one time we could race each other again! Guess I'll just have to do Tahoe now!

Benson said...

Holy crap dude, those are some pretty dangerous 'groceries' you got there..."in moderation" OK?

Be a good supporter and have fun this weekend.

Ryan D said...

dude, good call.

BUT, whats with the soda? You should be doing shots!!!!

Cliff said...

You just have to finish the grocery before Beth finds out :)

Good choice on bailing out on the race.

Beer and baseball..how can you go wrong with that :)

Luke said...

im guessing an 8 hour epic at the santa ana river trail this weekend is outta the question...lol!!

who knows....you keep eatin doritos with a jd back, i might actually beat you up nate harrison grade on the 6th!

enjoy it brotha!

Zippy said...

Jim Beam is way smoother than JD and whiskey tastes much better with Vanilla Coke. Just trying to help!

Shan said...

Welcome to the cheering brigade for SDIT - probably a good call to pull the plug if you're not feeling it. Plus, all that Jack and Absolut needs to be attended to, right...? :)

A Jack&Coke sounds mighty fine right about now...

TRI-ROB said...

SO SMART Bro! That was probably the best choice you could have possibly made! What I've learned this year... rest is a GOOD thing!

Looking forward to reading about your training in the coming weeks!

Breathe...

D a v e P said...

Hey James, I didn't understand what you said to me at about the halfway point of the run on Sunday, but thanks, whatever it was!
Hope the new start to training is going well.