Sunday, June 22, 2008

Transistion time!

Things are a little different than they were a couple of weeks ago... My focus is a bit different and Beth wasn't around to keep me in line who knows what would happen.


When building my training plan I stick with the Friel periods... Base, Build, Peak, Race, and then Transition. Transition is time between the big macro cycles. I peaked for Temecula and extended that through my races in Alabama and Richmond. Now it's time for a break or the "transistion period". The break is more mental than physical. I will still be getting in some unstructred training (basically whatever I feel like doing on a given day... beth style). I will get back to some base training when Cody tells me too!

Beth has been calling me "TJ" since getting back home. It stands for "transition james". With as dedicated to training and a healthy diet I am I also have the ability to let loose and enjoy things... maybe a little more than I should when racing is not my focus. Lets just say Beth is not a fan of TJ. After riding she is looking for a recovery meal and I am craving beer and fish tacos... I don't care what anybody thinks... I need a mental and physical break. It's all about balance in my book... i like to train hard, race hard, and enjoy life. It's not all about racing to me... not by any means.

Beth and I enjoying her roof top deck



but... From the training side of things I have have spent a good amount of time riding the streets with Beth (maybe too much... she shelled me!) this past week. Me being in a transition phase is kind of tough on her as she is in the middle of her last big block before Vineman 70.3. I am training on a whim, changing plans constantly, and eating a lot of ice cream (see the video above)! So I am trying to do whatever she needs as she gets ready for her A race of the year. I know, for a fact, that I wouldn't have had the success I have had so far this year without her. She keeps in line... and enjoying life! So I want to do the same for her.

riding with the champ


I have helped her dial in her nutririon plan for race day and leading up to the race and also tried to refine her "beth style" training leading up to the race. The bottom line is she is going to have a great race. She has done the work and i am proud of what she has accomplished in such a short time and I can't wait to be on the sidelines cheering her on!

Beth at the end of our ride... heading back in the the Gas Lamp... yeah we share sunglasses.


Beth. Post big bike week! Chillaxing poolside.


I will be racing the San Diego International next weekend. It is probably the biggest local race here in San Diego and sells out quickly every year. I, again, will be competing in the "Elite" division and against some fast guys... Trying to hang with these guys on their turf (the road) should be fun!

16 comments:

beth said...

I WISH you guys could see TJ. quite a funny animanl

for the record, i don't dislike TJ...TJ cannot be blamed for the fact that I have no self control and will pound the ice cream (and chips!) with him. he also cannot be blamed for the fact that his body metabolizes the junk way more efficiently than mine. i told him that TJ is cool as long as he loves a chubby girlfriend.


thanks for riding with me all week!

Luke said...

enjoy those brews brotha!

it's back to work soon!

that vid...lmao!!

GZ said...

That is what I am talking about... nice. I am always telling the family NOT to buy the peanut butter cookies, the ice cream, the crackers, etc because I WILL EAT IT. Of course they buy it anyway and I have do all sorts of deep meditation stuff not to eat it.

Ryan D said...

dude... ANY of the fully loaded ones are the shit! I am extremely partial to the peanut butter cup because peanut butter and chocolate is the best combo out there...

See you sunday.

beingoutside said...

work on that transition time!

ll said...

ice-cream fight! awesome :) fortunately when things go wrrrong I can always read some BSB stories to get my mood better.. thank you dude

Jim said...

TJ plus the CWS ! Beth has to put up with your transition time and baseball. Tell her to root for Fresno State. (her pick as well as mine) The battle of the Bulldogs is your "BULL"dogs against our "Devil"dogs. Game on is right !!! Fresno in two.

Rachel said...

Nothing like chowing down after a long ride! Good luck at SDIT...I'll be there too!

Benson said...

funny vid, a good laugh.
The triathlete way is to feed the cravings. don't let us down.

Cliff said...

Hey Jameson,

I saw the video..dang out...u need both. The answer is not OR...it is AND :).

Enjoy your break...

Jamie said...

Haha. Hilarious video.

When in doubt, get one of everything.

Zippy said...

Great stuff. Call me if you find yourself at my beach and we'll go body surfing. The water is like 70 right now!

Shan said...

Ice cream is one of my favorite vices as well, although I'm a big fan of Beth's favorite - Golden spoon!

I'm loving your "train hard, recover hard" philosophy - there's just no other way!

I'll be out there cheerin' y'all on at SDIT!

TRI Vortex said...

I'm more of a train okay and recover hardest. It catches up with me for some odd reason.

runninggunner said...

Enjoy the transition. You deserve it.

Matt said...

Keep hittin' it, homey. Whatever it is, you're off the front, attacking with a pint (of ice cream or ale)!!